As soon as Microsoft released Windows Server 2012 R2 images on MSDN, I decided it is time for me to upgrade my home environment. I will probably dedicate a separate post on my home infrastructure, while leaving this post for one of the decisions I made for my environment – using IPv6.
Setting static IPv6 addresses
Currently, I have 6 Windows Server machines in my environment, so the first thing I needed to do was setting static IPv6 addresses on them, starting with my domain controller/DNS server.
To make things easier for me, I used this online tool to generate a unique local address range prefix, which I am going to use in my environment. For the sake of example, let’s say the prefix that was generated for me was fdd1:b9ea:da43:964e::/64. Having it, I set IP addresses on my servers as following: Continue reading
Let’s try it
On December 11, 2012, Samba 4 was released, bringing few very interesting features, Active Directory Compatible Server being one of them. What that means is that you can set up Active Directory, supporting Group Policies, Roaming Profiles, replication and other ADDS features without having to use Windows Server.
Finally finding some extra time, I decided to give it a try on my Raspberry Pi which was just lying unused. “The reason to have a domain controller at home, on Raspberry Pi?” you ask? Well, mainly it is “just because I can”.
If you would like to try this as well, here goes a little guide I came up to make the things easier for you.
Installing Archlinux ARM on Raspberry Pi
Installing Archlinux ARM does not really differs from installation of any other Linux distribution on Raspberry Pi, so if you done this before, you can skip this part of the guide. If you did not, here is how to do that:
The newest update
A few hours ago today, Microsoft started rolling out Windows Phone 7.8 update for Nokia Lumia devices: 510, 610, 710, 800 and 900. The update provides the following features:
- Customizable sizes of the tiles
- Updated splash screen, displaying the new Windows Phone 8 logo
- Updated icons for some built-in Hubs (Games, Office, Store)
- 20 accent colors (that is double than before)
- Dynamic Bing wallpaper and lock screen notifications
Anyhow, Microsoft is releasing Windows Phone updates depending on the carrier and the country. That means, Zune might still show that your phone is up-to-date (“Your phone is up to date“), even some users are already reporting they are getting updates.
Forcing the update
The trick below is not new, as it is not some very big secret either. Just follow the steps below to force the update for your phone:
Yesterday (January 10th), Microsoft released new version of Skype – 184.108.40.206. The main feature of this new version is integration with Outlook. That allows you to reach your Skype contacts directly from Outlook, in the same way as you could with Communicator/Lync before. You can see screenshot of this feature in the image above the post.
That was one of the Skype features I was really looking forward, so I got disappointed when I saw it is not working after the update. Also, after doing some searching, I found that I am not the only one having this issue – many people are reporting the same issue on Skype support forums. I though it would be cool to find the cause of this.
The migration plan
Yesterday I was working on a change to move a shared folder from one drive to another. The original plan was fairly simple:
- Stop “Server” (“lanmanserver“) service on the server (it is required to avoid files changing or being locked in during the copy)
- Use RoboCopy to copy the shared folder. /B and /COPYALL switches are required so all files and ACLs would be copied.
- Edit registry value of the share in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares key. That would allow saving a lot of time because there would be no need to unshare folder in the old drive, share it on a new one and re-apply share permissions
- Start “Server” (“lanmanserver“) service
So, as you see, the plan is indeed simple enough. Anyhow, it did not worked. After successfully going through 1st and 2nd steps, the 3rd step failed. After changing drive letter in the registry, it automatically got reset to the previous one. Since the change window was limited, I had to go with the way I tried to avoid at first – unshare old folder, share a new one and reapply share permissions. It worked because it was a single share I was dealing with. If I would have like 50 shares, recreating each of them manually would take quite long. Therefore today, in my testing environment, I tried to find out why the original idea did not work.