TTTAs soon as Microsoft released Windows Server 2012 R2 images on MSDN, I decided it is time for me to upgrade my home environment. I will probably dedicate a separate post on my home infrastructure, while leaving this post for one of the decisions I made for my environment – using IPv6.
Setting static IPv6 addresses
Currently, I have 6 Windows Server machines in my environment, so the first thing I needed to do was setting static IPv6 addresses on them, starting with my domain controller/DNS server.
To make things easier for me, I used this online tool to generate a unique local address range prefix, which I am going to use in my environment. For the sake of example, let’s say the prefix that was generated for me was fdd1:b9ea:da43:964e::/64. Having it, I set IP addresses on my servers as following: Continue reading
Yesterday (January 10th), Microsoft released new version of Skype – 188.8.131.52. The main feature of this new version is integration with Outlook. That allows you to reach your Skype contacts directly from Outlook, in the same way as you could with Communicator/Lync before. You can see screenshot of this feature in the image above the post.
That was one of the Skype features I was really looking forward, so I got disappointed when I saw it is not working after the update. Also, after doing some searching, I found that I am not the only one having this issue – many people are reporting the same issue on Skype support forums. I though it would be cool to find the cause of this.
Yesterday I was working on a change to move a shared folder from one drive to another. The original plan was fairly simple:dekor-okno
So, as you see, the plan is indeed simple enough. Anyhow, it did not worked. After successfully going through 1st and 2nd steps, the 3rd step failed. After changing drive letter in the registry, it automatically got reset to the previous one. Since the change window was limited, I had to go with the way I tried to avoid at first – unshare old folder, share a new one and reapply share permissions. It worked because it was a single share I was dealing with. If I would have like 50 shares, recreating each of them manually would take quite long. Therefore today, in my testing environment, I tried to find out why the original idea did not work.
As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems I have faced during migration of my blog to IIS was getting permalinks to work. Actually, in most cases users should not face any problems with that – WordPress has already prepared a guide to get the permalinks working under IIS. It should work in most cases. Unfortunately, my case was a bit different.
Thing was that my WordPress is not installed on the root of my host. I wanted to preserve the same strategy I used on my older (Linux) host:reteks
During the migration of my blog from Apache, running on Fedora OS, to IIS 7.0, running Windows Server 2008 R2, I’ve faced quite a few difficulties. One of them was running automatic WordPress updates. Every attempt to update WordPress to the most recent version ended up with the following error:
copy(/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in wp-admin\includes\class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 200http://kahovka-service.ru
Since the error was cleared enough and I knew my WordPress is running under IUSR account, I thought I was able to fix the problem quite easily. What I’ve done was adding IUSR account to security tab of my WordPress installation folder and giving “Modify” permission for the account. Doing that in fact solve the problem – I was able to successfully update my WordPress. Everything was great until I’ve started importing my old posts and noticed a different issue. Continue reading